Feeding bees is an important part of beekeeping, bees without food will die. Over fed bees do not die.
In the Autumn you can feed either sugar syrup or bakers fondant, the quantity will depend on the size of the colony and the amount of stores in the hive.
In the winter if stores are getting low, do not feed syrup only bakers fondant.
Rapid feeder, this popular feeder holds 4 pints of syrup and can be inspected and refilled without disturbing the bees
- Small Rapid Feeder 500ml £4.40
- Medium Rapid Feeder 4 pints £5.50
- Jumbo Rapid Feeder Holds 6litres £10.30
- Contact Feeder, 1 gallon £4.45
- Contact Feeder, 1.5 gallon £4.65
- Frame Feeder 3.5 pints £11.16
- Bakers Fondant
This year (2013) has seen the stores in the hives being rapidly used up before the end of the year, Feeding with fondant is going to be necessary in many of our hives this winter to prevent starvation.
For all year round feeding, including emergency winter feed. Easy to apply with little disturbance to the bees. Available in three sizes.
- Large 12.5kg (cut to the size required). £16.95
- Medium 1.5kg (to place straight over the feed hole or queen excluder as a top up feed and narrow enough to fit in the space between crownboard and roof). £3.35
- New, To put on your top bars to give the bees
direct access to the Fondant. Includes a polythene
crown board (see new information leaflet) 1.5kg £3.50
- Small 340g (to put inside your mini/ apidea nucleus hive). £1.20
- Information leaflet available.